Arthritis of the foot can be a painful part of life. Osteoarthritis is a joint disease that gets worse with age. When your foot joint sustains trauma, it can produce the break-down of cartilage which in turn causes pain, injury or inflammation. Generally, this can happen over a long period of time. You may think that you’re gaining on osteoarthritis, but it’s actually gaining on you!
It affects the joints that connect to the heel bone, the mid-foot bone, the big toe and the foot bone. You may have this condition if you have symptoms such as soreness of the joint, a reduced ability in mobility, joints that are stiff and those which are swollen.
It’s important to recognize the signs of osteoarthritis so that you can obtain the needed treatment to fight back and slow down its effects. It’s important to address osteoarthritis in the developing stages to significantly reduce the associated symptoms down the road.
Treatment for osteoarthritis includes:
- Using steroidal medications that are injected directly into the joint. These will help to reduce swelling.
- Taking anti-inflammatories to reduce inflammation.
- Utilizing pain relievers to reduce pain that occurs because of osteoarthritis.
- Using supportive devices such as braces can help to provide needed support for joints that are undergoing significant pain.
- Orthotics can be very helpful in reducing the amount of pressure placed on joints.
- Physical therapy can help to mitigate joint wear and tear by strengthening other connective tissues and will help to keep you flexible.
- Controlling weight can be very beneficial with reducing pressure on joints as well.
At the Foot and Ankle Centers of North Houston, located in Northwest Houston (281) 444-4114, Northeast Houston (281) 446-7773, Tomball (281) 351-8866, Liberty Dayton (936) 336-2633, The Woodlands (936) 231-8500 and Atascocita (281) 883-4849, TX, our team can assist your joints with finding lasting relief. So, make an appointment with our offices at any of the numbers provided above to give your feet the attention they deserve!