Ankle Joint Pain can be any form of pain occurring in the ankle caused by trauma such as arthritis or a sprain. In fact, a majority of ankle sprains are lateral sprains, which means that they happen when the foot turns inwards while the ankle twists in the opposite direction and causes ligaments to tear. The problem with ankle joint pain is that it can linger and turn into a long-term condition because it can bruise and swell significantly while taking months to completely get better. Moreover, when the ankle joint undergoes a severe injury and is not rehabilitated in the most appropriate manner, it can remain weak indefinitely. Some other common factors leading to ankle joint discomfort include gout, nerve damage, obscured blood vessels and infections.
Treatment for this condition includes:
- Getting plenty of rest by refraining from bearing weight on the ankle right after it undergoes a traumatic injury.
- Use of support devices such as crutches to assist with mobility and to reduce the full weight on the ankle.
- Ice therapy to alleviate inflammation.
- Compressing the ankle joint by using a wrap to reduce swelling.
- Elevating the ankle so that it can also reduce swelling.
- Use of painkillers to reduce pain.
- Utilize anti-inflammatories to lessen aching, puffiness and swelling.
- As the ankle joint recovers, physical therapy can assist with strengthening the ankle so that it does not suffer from long-term weakness. This can also include stretching to keep the joints in motion.
- Eat a healthy diet to keep the weight off so that the joints can be free from the added stress of the pressure placed on them by being obese.
Ankle joint pain can be caused for many reasons. At the Foot and Ankle Centers of North Houston, located in Northwest Houston (281) 444-4114, Northeast Houston (281) 446-7773, Tomball (281) 351-8866, Liberty Dayton (936) 336-2633, The Woodlands (936) 231-8500 and Atascocita (281) 883-4849, TX, our team can assist with helping your ankles stay active and strong. So, please make an appointment with our offices at any of the numbers provided above today!