Heel spurs can be caused for a variety of reasons. Once such cause is wearing sandals for long periods of time without taking the proper precautions. Many sandals look fashionable yet have soles made of thin and unaccommodating components, which offer no support for the arch. This makes the plantar fascia of the foot have to withstand most of the forces from walking, leading to the formation of heel spurs.
Moreover, sandals weaken the fascia of the foot, which joins the heel to the toes. As this happens over time, heel spurs develop from deposits of calcium as continued stress is placed on the fascia. The lack of appropriate cushioning causes swelling to the ball of the feet. If sandals are worn for long periods of time without regard to the overall health of the foot, severe pain and heel spurs can cause significant disruptions to mobility.
Treatment for this condition includes:
· Wearing sandals that have built-in arch support that prevent the heel from moving while wearing them.
· Wearing sandals that have large toe areas allowing the toes to lie flat instead of squashed together in an unnatural manner.
· Utilizing sandals made with soft materials and that have proper cushioning to absorb forces created when walking.
· Using a foot orthotic.
· Practicing physical therapy that focuses on stretching the heel.
· Using ice therapy to reduce inflammation.
Heel spurs can be painful and refraining from wearing unsupportive sandals can help to avoid them. At the Foot and Ankle Centers of North Houston, located in Northwest Houston (281) 444-4114, Northeast Houston (281) 446-7773, Tomball (281) 351-8866, Liberty Dayton (936) 336-2633, The Woodlands (936) 231-8500 and Atascocita (281) 883-4849, TX, our team will provide the necessary attention to your heels in an effort to eliminate your spurs. Please make an appointment today by contacting our offices at any of the numbers provided above for a fresh start for your heels!