Flat Feet are also known as “fallen arches” since feet with this condition have low or a complete lack of arches, which makes them press against the ground almost completely. The arch is in the center of the foot and is supposed to remain in the air while other parts of the foot touch the ground. Young children generally develop arches as they get older. Individuals that do not develop arches can acquire flat feet. This condition can also lead to issues with bones, muscles or tissues of the feet and be the result of genetics.
Certain people may not have pain from this condition, but others may experience discomfort in the feet, ankles, knees and other parts of the body. Other causes for this condition include foot bones not developing correctly before a baby is born, poorly fitting footwear, trauma, older age, being obese or arthritis. Symptoms of this condition include discomfort after standing for long periods of time, shoes that wear out speedily, lethargy in feet and numbness in feet.
Treatment for this condition includes:
· Utilizing correctly fitting and supportive shoes.
· Using orthotics to prevent flat feet from rolling inward.
· Using medications to relieve pain.
· Taking off weight to reduce pressure on feet.
· Physical therapy.
· Surgery may be opted for and can vary in the type of procedure performed depends on the underlying cause of the flat foot. Consequently, unusually formed bones may need to be straightened or connective tissues may need to be repaired to alleviate pain.
Flat feet can be harmless or can become a significant issue if it becomes pronounced. Please contact us to discover how we can help provide treatment that can alleviate pain caused by flat feet! Here at the Foot and Ankle Centers of North Houston, located in Northwest Houston (281) 444-4114, Northeast Houston (281) 446-7773, Tomball (281) 351-8866, Liberty Dayton (936) 336-2633, The Woodlands (936) 231-8500 and Atascocita (281) 883-4849, TX, we can assist with helping your arches. So, please make an appointment today by calling our offices at any of the numbers provided above.