Neuropathy is serious condition that can seriously affect the nerves of the foot and ankle due to the damage it causes. Our team at the Foot and Ankle Centers of North Houston, located in Texas, can help to treat this condition with care at one of our following locations: Northwest Houston (281) 444-4114, Northeast Houston (281) 446-7773, Tomball (281) 351-8866, Liberty Dayton (936) 336-2633, The Woodlands (936) 231-8500 and Atascocita (281) 883-4849.
Neuropathy, in particular peripheral neuropathy, causes nerve damage to the feet and can be acquired through genetics, diabetes (since high blood glucose levels cause nerve damage) or from severe traumas. An imbalance in the production of hormones can produce this condition as well as by poor eating habits or vitamin deficiencies since they are essential for upholding the functioning of nerves. A deficiency in Thiamine can produce a tender feeling due to nerve deterioration. Alcoholism can cause permanent damage to nerves in the legs and feet. Moreover, certain medications such as cancer drugs can cause this condition due to the long-term damage they do to nerves.
This condition can cause symptoms such as numbness, muscle fatigue and discomfort. Preventative tips include:
- Utilizing properly fitting shoes to help prevent the formation of sores.
- Visiting your foot doctor regularly for detailed examinations to avoid foot complications from diabetes.
- Inspect feet daily to notice cuts, rawness, blisters or inflammation.
Treatment for this condition includes:
- Controlling and keeping blood sugar levels low through diet, exercise and insulin medications.
- Acupuncture to lighten pain.
- Physical therapy to help with blood flow.
- Medications to relieve tingling or burning.
As it can be seen, this condition can become serious but can be reduced in significance if treated timely. Therefore, it’s a good idea to contact us now to receive a proper diagnosis and treatment plan that can help to avoid the complications of neuropathy. Those with diabetes need to be especially careful since nerve damage can lead to a loss of feeling that can complicate serious problems they are prone to getting in their feet.