Arthritic pain in the feet and ankles grows worse as you age due to the slow progression it takes. If this condition is not taken care of properly, the irritating pain it causes can begin to produce even more severe pain that can substantially inhibit mobility for normal tasks such as walking or running. This condition devastates the machinery of the joint by causing a wear and tear effect on the cartilage which results in swelling of the joint. Without the cartilage present in between the joints, bones rub against each other without padding, causing severe pain. Half of the individuals past the age of 60 can have a form of arthritis of the foot. Severe traumas like broken bones in the feet or torn ligaments can result in the development of this condition.
Treatment for arthritis can cause it to slow down or prevent its early onset. Methods involve:
· Weight loss to decrease pressure on the joint.
· Orthotics to help redistribute pressures away from sensitive joints.
· Joint supportive braces.
· Anti-inflammatories to reduce inflammation.
· Arthroscopic surgery utilized early on, involving a small insertion into the joint to eliminate any foreign elements in the joint that do not belong there.
· Surgery that fuses bones with pins or screws.
· Joint replacement surgery that replaces the ankle joint with implants.
Arthritis that forms in the foot or ankle can cause long-term pain and issues. This condition starts underneath the surface without any significant pain. When not treated timely, however, it can cause joint pain that can be so severe that mobility is significantly hindered. For these reasons, please contact us now so that we can help your joints stay mobile! Here at the Foot and Ankle Centers of North Houston, located in Northwest Houston (281) 444-4114, Northeast Houston (281) 446-7773, Tomball (281) 351-8866, Liberty Dayton (936) 336-2633, The Woodlands (936) 231-8500 and Atascocita (281) 883-4849, TX, our team can help you take back control of your foot health. Make an appointment today by calling our office at any of the numbers provided above.