Although the weather in Houston throughout the year is relatively stable compared to that in many other parts of the country, the summer months bring with them some lifestyle changes. From spending more time outside, to attending more parties, to opting for more open footwear or no footwear at all, your feet and ankles are likely to go through some big adjustments as well. If you are not prepared, you might soon be suffering from the likes of athlete’s foot or heel pain. With July right around the corner, here are some tips for keeping your feet happy and healthy:
- Choose adjustable footwear: As the day goes on, especially when it is hot outside, your feet become swollen. If your footwear has laces or straps that can be loosened, you will be ready for the changing circumstances.
- Dry your socks: Your socks will absorb the sweat from your feet. If they become damp, or if they are scrunched up and do not fit properly, you may become prone to blisters or a fungal infection.
- Limit the time you spend in heels: A good pair of heels is sometimes essential to a proper work or party outfit. However, spending more than 4 hours at a time in them can lead to foot, ankle, or knee pain. Apply ice to prevent swelling and pain!
- Stretch before exercise: You may not think to stretch your feet before you workout, but it is absolutely essential. Some helpful stretches include writing the alphabet with your feet or rolling a tennis ball or water bottle over the arch of your foot.
- Keep an eye on your weight: Summer can be a great time to shed those few pounds you have wanted to lose. Since your feet support the weight of your entire body, even small losses can make a huge difference!
Nothing is worse than being sidelined from your favorite activities. The doctors at the Foot and Ankle Centers of North Houston want to help patients of all ages stay on their feet for all of summer and beyond. If you are seeking a new podiatrist to care for your diabetes, hammertoes, ingrown toenails, and more, look no further! Contact us or call us at (281) 444-4114 to determine which of our offices is most convenient for you!